A whole week has passed since I began my programming journey at the Recurse Center! Here is what has transpired so far.
- Met my batch mates!
- Orientation was really helpful. Got to know more about the inner workings of RC.
- I love the space! It is a perfect combination of communal and shared spaces.
- In my application to RC, I wrote about how the program and the space reminds me a lot of the Architecture studio and it’s paradigm as a space for collective learning environment. After spending a day at RC I have confirmed that assumption. (I plan to blog about the just the architectural space of RC at some point)
- All in all, the beautiful space/studio together with clear social rules and use of online social network tools like Zulip and Community, RC makes for a fascinating social and spacial experiment on how to learn and grow together.
- Last week, I had started working on a simple vector graphics editor based on this awesome library called PaperJS.
- I called my project Mies – after one of my favorite architect! Mies Van der Rohe
- Today I added some features to it (move and color tool ) to Mies. I am having fun working on this project!
- While working on Mies I came across a concept I had no idea about called the Scene Graph.
- Decided to take advantage of RC’s collection of books and picked up a book by Edward Angel, Interactive Computer Graphics.
- This book immediately got me interested in Computer Graphics in general as opposed to just learning about the Scene Graph.
- So I’ve decided that one my goals for April is to understand the basics of Computer Graphics from the bottom up.
- This also marks the first time in a loooong time that I read a physical book for a sustained period of time. Completely had forgotten how enjoyable it is.
- Continued to work on Mies.
- Read more of Interactive Computer Graphics. I am planning to blog about it soon
- Attended my first RC presentations. Got to see awesome projects / ideas from current recursers.
- Today I worked on refining the projects that I want to do while at RC
- I finalized and Mies and its live!
- Demo: https://tamg.github.io/mies/
- Github: https://github.com/tamg/mies
Week # 1 is already over!