Week1 Week2 Week3 Week4 Week5 six weeks has passed since I began my programming journey at the Recurse Center! This is week six of RC, but since we our batch has a two week break this is technically week 8.
Ok. Here is what happened on the sixth week.
- Paired with Carolina on a chrome extension. Initially I had been working on a small email extension and had been stuck at making the gmail oauth work because of a known issue.
- Carolina came up with an idea to circumvent that issue by using the much more simpler direct “mailto:” gmail link.
- The finished extension is here: Toyo: Chrome extension to email yourself links
- Started sketching out an idea for the next project.
- So far at RC, I have been working on a lot of small projects to allow me to code a lot without worrying much about the importance of the project.
- I think this really worked out for me. In the past 5 weeks I got to work on a variety of projects that taught me a variety things about web development concepts (apis, promises, html canvas, web workers, ajax, DOM manipulation, chrome api, local storage…)
- However, for the next 6 weeks I am going to switch gears and try to work on one or two bigger projects.
- So far the the idea that I have is to work with three.js and React to create some kind of online 3d model viewer.
- I will blog about the progress here.
- Of course there is the magical CreateReactApp but that is not helpful at all if you are trying to learn how to setup your environment.
- Thankfully, I found this repo and have been learning a lot from it.
- Last day for Spring 1’s!! Said my goodbyes 🙁
- I also selfishly realize that this means I am already halfway through my batch!! That. was. fast.
- I didn’t go RC today.
- I’m taking advantage of the two week break and travel to the motherland! (Ethiopia). Super excited to not looking at code for two weeks!